Friday, May 31, 2013

Staycation

The past month and a half was covered in a haze of word documents and film clips. In the past two weeks, I have submitted an 8,000 word case study, two 2,000 word essays, two dance DVDs, and six reports. Throughout this time, my flatmate, Rachel, graciously took on the role of guardian angel of sanity keeping – frequently taking breaks with me, going for walks, coffee, or food shopping.

One weekend, when I was going particularly stir crazy, we had an impromptu “staycation”, venturing around my neighborhood in New Cross. We had coffee on the porch, at Goldsmiths Garden Café Bar. We hit up the dinner deal for under 5 quid at Thailand. We chatted over lattes at Chinwag and La Boulangerie, and had a traditional English breakfast at Goldsmiths Café, before one of my 8 hour stints in the library. I had Indian spiced pumpkin and delicious mango lassi at Nouvelle Spice, and nachos on Cinco de Mayo at The Old Haberdasher.
Latte at Goldsmiths Garden Cafe

Latte at Chinwag

Mango lassi at Nouvelle Spice

The best part of going out in New Cross is how affordable everywhere is compared to other parts of London. We filled our tummies with fresh food, sharing and sampling different dishes each place we went. We both agreed that our favorite café is The London Particular. It has the most flavorful food and competes with Chinwag for best coffee.


A few days ago, I submitted my last pieces of work, and all I’m left with is anticlimactic exhaustion. I finished my placement, child skills lectures, experiential group, and supervision. Now, until the end of June, we have a variety of guest lecturers and mini lecture series. Last night, course members trickled into the pub and collapsed in the comfy couch corner, eyes glazed over without even touching a drink.
supervision group

half the members of my course

No comments:

Post a Comment